Thursday, January 9, 2014

"Stand" & "Deliver" Songs

After I did that "Sit" & "Stand" music post the other day, I had too many good "Stand" songs left over. Which got me thinking – what else could I pair with the word "Stand"? Then I remembered that great '80s movie, Stand And Deliver, with Edward James Olmos and Lou Diamond Phillips, and the word combo was simply too good to pass up. In addition to some predictable pop music, I also threw in a few classy songs for those of you (us) who enjoy that sort of thing.  ~  JH



1)  Seal  ~  "I Can't Stand The Rain"




2)  Mr. Mister  ~  "Stand And Deliver"  (Speaking of that movie, here's the title song from its soundtrack)




3)  Oasis  ~  "Stand By Me"




4)  The Nathaniel Dett Chorale  ~  "Didn't My Lord Deliver Daniel?"  (I can't remember the last time I posted a song by a chorale…probably never!)




5)  The Smashing Pumpkins  ~  "Stand Inside Your Love"




6)  Snarky Puppy  ~  "The Good Man Deliver And The Best Is Blessed"  (Despite their oddball band name, this is another one of those classy songs I was telling you about.)



7)  Theophilus London  ~  "I Stand Alone"




8)  Jenny Lane  ~  "Special Delivery"




9)  Beyoncé, Mary J. Blige, Rihanna, Fergie, Mariah Carey, Natasha Bedingfield, Miley Cyrus, Carrie Underwood, Leona Lewis, Keyshia Cole, Nicole Scherzinger, Ashanti, & Ciara  ~  "Just Stand Up"  (Visit www.standup2cancer.org for more information about this worthy cause.)



10)  Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Ensemble ft. Aloe Blacc  ~  "Deliver The Word"  (Look, more classy music! With the added bonus of profanity-free rapping! Even better!)




11)  New Edition  ~  "Can You Stand The Rain?"




12)  Steep Canyon Rangers  ~  "Stand And Deliver"  (Hailing from Asheville, NC – a truly lovely city – here's some good ol' mountain music!)




13)  R.E.M.  ~  "Stand"




14)  Sunshine Superman  ~  "I Deliver"  (I really like this, because it sounds so different that I can't think of anything else to compare it to.)




15)  Jessie J  ~  "Stand Up"




16)  Shachah ft. John Wells – The Tonic  ~  "Deliver Us"




17)  Girls Aloud  ~  "I'll Stand By You"  (All things considered, a very good cover of a very good song!)




18)  Adam & The Ants  ~  "Stand And Deliver"




19)  Within Temptation  ~  "Stand My Ground"




20)  Stevie Wonder  ~  "Signed, Sealed, Delivered"


No comments:

Post a Comment