Saturday, July 19, 2014

Songs About Spying


This post is a postscript to this week's related-but-not-really-related series of posts featuring Songs About Crying, Flying, Lying, Trying, and Dying. I never planned to do one on Songs About Spying, but I sort of randomly looked it up to see if there were any songs that would qualify, and as it turns out there were. I had to dig a little deeper to find the same number of songs for this one that I'd done for the others, but I was ultimately successful in doing so. Oh yeah, and for those of you who like commentary, you'll probably like this one. Enjoy!  ~  JH



1)  Super Junior  ~  "Spy"  (I have no idea what they're singing about, aside from the fact that they spell out "S-P-Y" a few times – but the song's got a nice beat and you can dance to it, so whatevs.)




2)  Erica Baxter  ~  "I Spy"  (I've never heard of her, but apparently this lady's song was co-written by Natasha Bedingfield, whom I like a lot.)




3)  "Weird Al" Yankovic  ~  "Spy Hard"  (Ya gotta love "Weird Al." Even if you try not to. Ya just gotta.)




4)  Was (Not Was)  ~  "Spy In The House Of Love"  (Über-stylish hairdos and headwear abound in this video. No, not really.)




5)  Paul McCartney  ~  "Spies Like Us"  (I never saw the '80s movie of which this is theme song. Was it any good?)




6)  Mikhael Paskalev  ~  "I Spy"  (This guy takes the whole Risky Business underwear dance to a whole 'nother level. Not that that's a good thing. The song's good, though.)




7)  Never Land Pirate Band  ~  "Spy Glass"  (I must be losing my mind for including this song! Not that it's horrible or anything. I've just seen way too many episodes of this show to be viewing videos of songs from it in my spare time.)




8)  Project 86  ~   "Spy Hunter"  (I don't blame them for knocking that guy out with the guitar. The cannon might've been a bit much, though.)




9)  Let's Go Bowling  ~  "Spy Market"  (Video quality is poor, but the song is pretty good. So I guess it evens out.)




10)  Bauhaus  ~  "Spy In The Cab"  (Raise your hand if you thought the singer was a sketchy-looking girl until he started singing horribly.)

Video wouldn't load properly – click link to view:



11)  Steve Winwood  ~  "Spy In The House Of Love"  (Winwood's music seems to sound the same yet still fresh over the years. This one was a minor success some ten years after his most well-known hits, but sounds like it could've come from the same albums as those.)




12)  The Doors  ~  "The Spy"  (No video here – just good music. So don't complain!)




13)  Animal Logic  ~  "There's A Spy (In The House Of Love)"  (I'm not at all familiar with this band or this song, but it appears to be somewhat of a "lost gem.")




14)  Coldplay  ~  "Spies"  (Okay, so maybe they're a pretty good band after all.)




15)  Feral Children  ~  "Spy/Glass House"  (The good: This guy can play drums and sing simultaneously. The bad: He's not that great of a singer. The ugly: Archery with ballpoint pen ink reservoirs.)




16)  The Moffatts  ~  "Spy"  (Sound quality isn't the best – neither is the video quality for that matter – but these guys can hold their own among most middle-of-the-road live bands. Which is saying…something.)

Video wouldn't load properly – click link to view:



17)  INXS  ~  "Spy Of Love"  (He dances weirdly – all girlish-like. And his shirt is too shirt. But that's probably the point.)




18)  Guster  ~  "I Spy"  (Never heard of these guys before, either. While some of the song's lyrics leave much to be desired, the band's incredible talent does not.)




19)  Riccardo Gioggi  ~  "The Spy Song"  (WOW! That is all I have to say.)

Video wouldn't load properly – click link to view:



20)  Painted Air  ~  "Spies"  (Finally…we've reached the end of this post. I should probably say something about the song, huh? It's kind of…well, it's…it's 4 minutes long, that's what it is.)

Video wouldn't load properly – click link to view:

No comments:

Post a Comment