Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Dazzling Duets By Dynamic Duos: The 1990s


Here's part 2 in a 4-part series featuring classic duets. These songs are all from the 1990s, which may very well be the best decade in history for duets – in my opinion, at least. How many of these do you remember fondly?  ~  JH



1)  Tim McGraw & Faith Hill  ~  "It's Your Love"  (Something about a love song sung by real-life lovers – a husband and wife, in fact – makes it all the more…lovey-dovey? Maybe so, maybe not. But this is a cute song either way.)




2)  Céline Dion & Andrea Bocelli  ~  "The Prayer"  (It doesn't get much more powerhouse than this. Great song by two all-time greats.)




3)  Luther Vandross & Mariah Carey  ~  "Endless Love"  (This rendition and the Lionel Richie/Diana Ross version are both outstanding. Instead of choosing between one or the other, I decided to include them both. The original song will appear in the '80s edition of this series.)




4)  Brandy & Monica  ~  "The Boy Is Mine"  (Catty? Oh, yes! Enjoyable? Absolutely!)




5)  John Mellencamp & Me'Shell Ndegeocello  ~  "Wild Night"  (This song brings back some memories. Why? Because MTV played the crap out of it back in '94 or '95. And for good reason – it's a fun song!)




6)  Reba McEntire & Vince Gill  ~  "The Heart Won't Lie"  (I can't remember whether someone suggested this song, or if I just found it. Either way, it's a good one.)




7)  Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole  ~  "Unforgettable"  (Ah, the power of technology! Natalie Cole sang this iconic duet with her father who, at the time, had been dead for a quarter of a century. And she won three Grammys for it, to boot!)




8)  Whitney Houston & Mariah Carey  ~  "When You Believe"  (Remember The Prince Of Egypt? That animated musical movie about the Exodus from the late '90s? Yeah, me neither. But I do remember this song from its soundtrack quite well.)




9)  Clint Black & Lisa Hartman Black  ~  "When I Said I Do"  (Here's another sweet love song by a real-life husband and wife. I wonder how many wedding ceremonies or vow renewals included a rendition of this song?)




10)  Anita Baker & James Ingram  ~  "When You Love Someone"  (I'm sure James Ingram has had a nice solo career, but I know him best for the classic duets he's a part of. This is one of those. Another classic duet of his will appear in the '80s post.)




11)  Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson  ~  "Scream"  (Stop pressurin' me! I'm trying to think of something original to say about this classic brother-sister duet.)




12)  Barbra Streisand & Bryan Adams  ~  "I Finally Found Someone"  (I remember this movie not at all. The song, however, is still good some 15-20 years later.)




13)  Tony Bennett & k.d. lang  ~  "Moonglow"  (Oh, look! Another Tony Bennett duet! Yeah. What's your point? It's good, isn't it?)




14)  Céline Dion & Peabo Bryson  ~  "Beauty And The Beast"  (If James Ingram is the king of duets, then Peabo Bryson is the emperor. This is just one of three great songs on which Peabo teamed up with [better-known] singers in this post alone.)




15)  Elton John & George Michael  ~  "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"  (This is actually an older song of Elton John's, but George Michael covered it live and brought Elton onstage to sing it with him in the '90s, and the live version became a smash hit. And why not? It's pretty awesome!)




16)  Patty Smyth & Don Henley  ~  "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough"  (This song will sound every bit as good fifty years from now, and will probably be better then than most songs on the radio. It's sad that some folks today may never have heard it before, or may have even forgotten it exists. Don't be one of those people!)




17)  Youssou N'Dour & Neneh Cherry  ~  "7 Seconds"  (This is one of those nifty songs I discovered years and years after it was released, and I like it. Do you remember it from when it came out originally?)




18)  Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville  ~  "All My Life"  (Great song by a great couple of singers.)




19) Peabo Bryson & Regina Belle  ~  "A Whole New World"  (Don't you DARE close your eyes!)




20)  Céline Dion & R. Kelly  ~  "I'm Your Angel"  (I forgot about this song. I liked it then, and I still do. Take a listen!)




21)  Vanessa Williams & Brian McKnight  ~  "Love Is"  (This is another great collaboration that I'd forgotten about. Amazing stuff!)




22)  Whitney Houston & CeCe Winans  ~  "Count On Me"  (CeCe gives Whitney a run for her money here, and that's saying a LOT!)




23)  Mariah Carey & Boyz II Men  ~  "One Sweet Day"  (I looked it up, and apparently this does count as a duet, even though one of the two "artists" is a vocal group. Either way, I would have included it because it's fantastic!)




24)  Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack ~   "Tonight I Celebrate My Love"  (I was singing Peabo's part of this song at the top of my lungs in the shower yesterday morning, after having heard it a couple of days before. Is that TMI?)




25)  Céline Dion & Clive Griffin  ~  "When I Fall In Love"  (This is a timeless classic that deserves multiple listens. But for now, why not at least give it one?)


No comments:

Post a Comment