Monday, March 20, 2017

Popular Songs Of 1937, Vol. 1

I'm not quite done with this seemingly never-ending series of "Popular Songs Of" posts quite yet. There's this set and the three volumes that follow it. Then I'll probably tackle the tunes of 1927 and call it done. I was surprised at how many "keepers" I found among songs that, at eighty years old, are clearly well before my time. Music was just better back in the day, I suppose. And boy, do I feel old in simply admitting THAT! Anyway, here goes... Enjoy!  ~  JH



1)  Benny Goodman & His Orchestra  ~  “Sing, Sing, Sing”  (Man, that Gene Krupa could play some drums!)



2)  Fred Astaire  ~  “Things Are Looking Up”




3)  Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians  ~  “September In The Rain”




4)  Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra ft. Edythe Wright  ~  “Dipsy Doodle”




5)  Robert Johnson  ~  “Cross Road Blues”




6)  Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Cast  ~  “With A Smile And A Song”




7)  Bing Crosby  ~  “Sweet Leilani”




8)  Roy Acuff  ~  “You’re The Only Star In My Blue Heaven”




9)  Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys  ~  “Steel Guitar Rag”




10)  Gracie Fields  ~  “It Looks Like Rain In Cherry Blossom Lane”




11)  Duke Ellington  ~  “Caravan”




12)  Mildred Bailey  ~  “Trust In Me”




13)  Louis Armstrong  ~  “On A Little Bamboo Bridge”




14)  Joyce Compton / Irene Dunne  ~  “My Dreams Are Gone With The Wind”




15)  Count Basie  ~  “One O’Clock Jump”




16)  Raymond Scott Quintette  ~  “Powerhouse”




17)  Mahalia Jackson  ~  “Peace In The Valley”




18)  Fred Astaire  ~  “They Can’t Take That Away From Me”




19)  Sophie Tucker  ~  “The Lady Is A Tramp”




20)  Jimmie Lunceford & His Orchestra  ~  “For Dancers Only”




21)  The Andrews Sisters  ~  “Jammin’”




22)  Robert Johnson  ~  “I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom”




23)  Slim & Slam  ~  “The Flat Foot Floogie”




24)  Al Dexter  ~  “Honky Tonk Blues”




25)  Kenny Baker  ~  “Love Walked In”


No comments:

Post a Comment