Thursday, May 2, 2019

Lesley Gore’s & Lily Allen’s Greatest Hits

Today would have been singer Lesley Gore's 73rd birthday if she hadn't died four years ago. Today is also British pop singer Lily Allen's 34th birthday. To celebrate the occasion, I have compiled a set of both ladies' best and/or most well-known songs. If you're not familiar with either artist, you should totally take a listen. Completely different eras and styles, but both are great singers and their songs are chock full of exceptionally empowering themes. Enjoy!  ~  JH



1)  “It’s My Party”




2)  “Smile”




3)  “Judy’s Turn To Cry”




4)  “F You”  (Fret not, listeners with sensitive ears! This and all other Lily Allen songs in this post are the squeaky-clean versions – “potty words” removed, replaced, or merely muted.)




5)  “She’s A Fool”




6)  “LDN”




7)  “You Don’t Own Me”




8)  “Littlest Things”




9)  “Off And Running”




10)  “Who’d Have Known”




11)  “I Don’t Wanna Be A Loser”




12)  “Alfie”




13)  “Maybe I Know”




14)  “22”




15)  “The Look Of Love”




16)  “The Fear”




17)  “Sunshine, Lollipops, And Rainbows”




18)  “Somewhere Only We Know”




19)  “California Nights”




20)  “Air Balloon”




21)  “Hey Now”




22)  “Hard Out Here”  (This one is heavily edited and loses some of its punch in the translation. But the themes of female empowerment and anti-misogyny come through pretty strong nonetheless.)




23)  “All Of My Life”




24)  “URL Badman”




25)  “My Town, My Guy, And Me”




26)  “Lost My Mind”




27)  “I Won’t Love You Anymore”




28)  “As Long As I Got You”




29)  “We Know We’re In Love”




30)  “Chinese”  (To the best of my knowledge, this song was neither a single nor a hit song. But it’s always been one of my favorites of Lily’s, so I’m including it here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment